With the help of Reece (the scarecrow), we have set designs! He really thought of some great ways to keep it simple. I've talked with some of you and here is what I think we'll do:
We'll open the shop door and put the backdrops on two long ropes in the door area. We'll have one backdrop on a canvas drop cloth that will be a sky and field picture, one white sheet which will portray OZ and one black sheet that will be the witch's castle (both king size).
Cardboard Props:
part of a house
Tree(s)
2 poppies
Gate entrance with hole for Corwin to look through
Non Cardboard - Brick road that Weathers have agreed to build out of wood and paint.
Other props:
hay bale
dried corn stalks
1 desk like table
dead trees/sticks
potted plants
striped leggings or socks for munchkins
fancy silver or red shoes for Dorothy
candelabra
paper/pen
bucket
duster
mop
long pet leash
chair
basket and puppy (Toto)
firewood
amulet
oil can
dictionary
big book
mint leaves
microphone speaker
"certificate"
crystal ball
big heart necklace
fake ax
cup
medal
paper airplane
wand for Glinda
I think that is all. If you have any of these items, please respond so we can start to collect our props and know what we will need to purchase. I have $125 available for use, but if I purchase the sheets and drop cloth, then that will require most of the money. We might be able to find them at a thrift store to help with the cost.
A far as costumes go, I think it would be best for people to figure out their own costumes. Feel free to ask for help if you need it or if you need certain items to make the costume work! I don't want it to overwhelm you! Hocus and Pocus probably should be comparable. The munchkins need to have a little bit of a theme as well. Marla and I were thinking about maybe matching striped socks so we can tell they are a group. I priced socks for $7 a pair. If anyone else can find them or knows how to cheaply make a pair, let us know! Otherwise, costumes for characters in OZ need to bright and fantastical (script's suggestion) and KS characters just dress their parts.
I do not have ANY Saturdays available to work on sets, but I am available during the days or evening starting in May.
I'm also thinking about doing the play May 19th and 20th at 7pm each night. Does that sound like it will work? Does it need to be earlier? Would you rather do one evening and one afternoon? I'm just worried that afternoons could be hot on that cement. If it rains, we can move it into the shop. We would just have to rig something last minute to hold our back drops.
Great! We can make Corwin's gate. Let me know if there are any other specifics!
ReplyDeleteI like the set idea/backdrops! Good going! We have several of those props and will bring what we can starting tomorrow. Unfortunately our axe has bit the dust but would have been great. Hay bale, mop, leash, fire wood, medal, basket for poppies or Toto, maybe on the candelabra, Paxton is good at paper air planes or most likely anyone!
ReplyDeleteOops, I forgot to reply about performance time. I like the idea of an afternoon and evening b/c we do early bedtimes for our youngest two, and some of our extended family could better attend in an afternoon I think, but you make a good point about it getting too hot. I do like 19/20 instead of 21st. Emma has a mandatory Rehearsal for ballet the 20th at 10:30 but that doesn't seem to conflict in anyway. We will do what majority needs/says.
ReplyDelete